Friday, August 29, 2008

Puppy tales

Since I am able to stay home with the boys (thanks to Rich working so hard), I have been trying to get them involved in different things.  One of the things I wanted to do is get involved in some community service projects.  Another mom I met down here told me about The Southeastern Guide Dog Association.  They train and provide dogs mainly for the visually impaired, and sometimes for those with secondary disabilities, such as a wheelchair, free of charge.  But in order for the puppies to become acclimated to a variety of situations, they have what they call "puppy hugging"  several times a week.  And after bringing Tyler today, we will be back every week.  He had SO much fun!  What a great introduction to community service! 




If you would like more information, here is their website:
www.guidedogs.org
  
I would really like to challenge all my other friends who read this blog, if you have the time, go find someplace to volunteer or help.  It is a great way to instill empathy in our future generations and it can be a lot of fun!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

So great that you are volunteering and including the boys. A friend of mine volunteers for Canine Assistance. It's a similar program but includes all disabilities.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. Clara LOVES dogs. I'm going to see if I can find something like this in Seattle.